I help adults with eating disorders recover.
The information on this site, however, is also helpful for parents of sufferers of any age, spouse or partners of adult sufferers, and friends/loved ones because it will help you understand what an eating disorder really is and how it affects the sufferers behaviour.
If you come away from this site knowing one thing, I want you to understand that eating disorders are genetically based mental illnesses.
They are not a choice. They are not “caused by society” (although they are complicated and aggravated by society in a very serious way). They are not caused my bed parents or a “need for control.”
A bit of background
I grew up in Wiltshire, England, in an idyllic (yet rainy) village. Despite being a robust and confident teenager, I developed an eating disorder at age 17 and this devastating illness took pole position in my life until, at 25, I finally started my recovery journey. I successfully recovered from Anorexia Nervosa and the complicated matrix of obsessions and habitual eating disorder behaviors that came with it.
Since Recovering I have
- Been a founding member of International Eating Disorder Action
- Been a founding member of World Eating Disorders Action Day
- Authored Love Fat, an educational memoire on eating disorder recovery and insight
- Written numerous eating disorder recovery guides for adults
- Peer mentored adults with eating disorders and parents/partners of adults since 2009
- Advocated for FBT for adults in eating disorder recovery
- Set up two forums for adults with eating disorders in active recovery
- Been selected to be a Coordinated Specialty Care Grant Advisory Board member
- Hosted of the Eating Disorder Recovery Podcast
- Founded Active Eating Disorder Recovery for Adults (AEDRA) Meal Support Service.
Want to work with me?
I coach adults and family of adults in recovery from eating disorders with a food first approach. I also am happy to come and talk to groups about understanding eating disorders, how to spot them, and how to treat them.