Tabitha Farrar talks to Dr. Lauren Muhlheim on the subject of compulsive exercise in eating disorders such as Anorexia. We discuss:
- Why exercise in eating disorders is a problem
- The dangers of exercising when you are underweight
- How to know if exercise is part of the eating disorder rather than a healthy pastime
- The problem of recognizing exercise as an eating disorder symptom
- Experiments in starvation in rats
- Exercise and excessive movements in children with eating disorders
- What lab experiments and observation in children can teach us about exercise as a symptom of an eating disorder
Dr. Lauren Muhlheim
Dr. Lauren Mulhleim is a clinical psychologist at Eating Disorder Therapy LA who specializes in providing evidence-based cognitive behavioral psychotherapy for a variety of problems experienced by adults including eating disorders. Dr. Muhlheim regularly volunteers her time for several organizations including the Academy for Eating Disorders, the Los Angeles County Psychological Association, and Best Friends LA. She is my go-to professional and a highly valued member of the eating disorder advocacy community.
Support this podcast via Patreon!
You can support this podcast and ensure the continuation of it by pledging a patreon donation here: https://www.patreon.com/Eating_Disorder_Recovery_Podcast
We want your feedback on these podcasts!
Please take a second to fill out this survey with feedback so we can make these podcasts even better:
Subscribe to these podcasts in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/eating-disorder-recovery-podcast/id1138563928?mt=2
Adults in recovery community Slack Group: http://tabithafarrar.com/slack-forum/
Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/EDMealSupport/