In this podcast, Tabitha Farrar talk to Dr Laura Hill about the neurobiology of eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa. We also talk about the new treatment approach that Dr Hill is developing. In this podcast we discuss:
- The history of research and understanding about eating disorders
- The importance of involving the family in all aspects of treatment and educating support persons.
- How understanding how eating disorders affect areas of the brain can explain the behaviors demonstrated by patients
- The developments in treatment models as informed by neurobiology and patient studies
- Dr Laura Hill’s contributions to the field of the neurobiology behind eating disorders
- Treatment gaps and technologies to fill them
- Eating disorders as brain-based illnesses
- Developing compassion and understanding and applications for treatment
About Dr Laura Hill
Dr. Laura Hill is the President & CEO of The Center for Balanced Living, a free standing not-for-profit organization that specializes in the education, treatment and research of eating disorders. Dr Hill is the recipient of Muskingum University Distinguished Service Award in 2014, the National Eating Disorders Association 2011 Lori Irving Award for Excellence in Eating Disorders Prevention and Awareness and was a TEDx Columbus speaker in 2012. She is an original founder of the Academy for Eating Disorders in 1993 and was Director of what is now known as The National Eating Disorder Association from 1990 to 1994.
She is the lead author of the Family Eating Disorder Manual, 2012; and has conducted research and spoken internationally over the last 35 years. She is a recipient of the national Feeding Hope award by NEDA, in collaboration with UCSD Eating Disorder and Research.
Find out more about Dr Laura Hill here: http://www.centerforbalancedliving.org/laura-hill/
Link to the recent study that we discussed:
Support this podcast via Patreon!
You can support this podcast and ensure the continuation of it by pledging a patreon donation here: https://www.patreon.com/Eating_Disorder_Recovery_Podcast
We want your feedback on these podcasts!
Please take a second to fill out this survey with feedback so we can make these podcasts even better:
Subscribe to these podcasts in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/eating-disorder-recovery-podcast/id1138563928?mt=2
Adults in recovery community Slack Group: http://tabithafarrar.com/slack-forum/
Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/EDMealSupport/